I might be biased, but I love Southern food. We Southerners love our food fried and we love our butter with a little bread served with a large glass of iced sweet tea.
Fried green tomatoes is one of those classic dishes of the South. This recipe for fried green tomatoes is one that is amazingly simple, and has been used in my family for years and years and years. I hope you enjoy it as much as I.
- firm green tomatoes, sliced somewhat thick
- white corn meal
- salt, garlic salt, and pepper to taste
- Oil for pan frying
Soak the tomatoes in buttermilk, just enough to cover them, or you can turn them over half way through. You want them to soak for maybe half an hour.
Heat the oil to high, you want it to be nice and hot. Perhaps around 375.
Put some cornmeal in a bowl or bag. Take a tomato slice out of the buttermilk and let the excess drip off. Coat the tomato all over in cornmeal.
Shallow fry tomatoes on both sides until nice and crispy, and dark golden brown. Drain on a paper towel and immediately season. Of course for those that like an Indian twist, just sprinkle a little garam masala and chaat masala on top.
I would like to thank fellow blogger Shaun, for nominating me for the VBA! It is especially nice to know that people out there are noticing my little blog. I am really enjoying posting, and I especially love all of the blogs that I am following, and I enjoy finding new blogs each day. If you haven’t checked Shaun’s blog out, you can do so here. He’s a Scottish fellow that blogs his thoughts. He always seems to try to spread good thoughts, which is refreshing to read.
1) Add The Versatile Blogger award photo on a blog post
2) Thank the person who presented you with the award and link back to him or her in your post
3) Share seven things about yourself
4) Pass the award along to 15 bloggers you have recently discovered. Contact the chosen bloggers to let them know about the award. (I will only be posting 6 links, though)
7 Things About Me:
1) I have a 7 year old German Shepherd. His name is Luke.
2) My neighbors have a little mixed breed dog, Keyla. She is best buds with Luke.
6 Blogs that I enjoy following: