Papdi chaat is one of my absolute snacks. Actually I could eat it as a meal and be completely satisfied. Papdi is a fried wafer, and can be quite thick, but oh so delicious. Topped with lots of different goodies, including a whopping amount of yogurt, this is sure to please just about anyone. It makes a great appetizer or a party dish. This chaat can be layered any way you want, and this is how I do it.
- 1 bag of papdis, you can find them at any Indian grocer
- 2 cups yogurt, whisked
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 large potato, boiled peeled and diced
- 1/2 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/4 cup tamarind chutney
- 1/4 cup coriander chutney
- 1/4 cup thin sev, available at any Indian grocer
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
In a serving tray, spread out papdi chips in an even layer. Top with potatoes, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and onions. Generously pour the yogurt evenly on top. Then add both chutneys. Sprinkle with chaat masala, red chili powder, and cumin powder. Top by sprinkling sev and coriander leaves.
*Sometimes I top the papdi with yogurt and chutney first.
*Some versions of papdi chaat are so full of yogurt, you can’t see anything else.
Layer it however you want. It will be delicious no matter what.